Reporting to:General Manager - Power
Summary of Role:
- Manage the technical deliverables and be responsible for all technical elements of electrical design and applications engineering for LV / HV switchgear / projects.
- Liaise with key stakeholders in the administration and planning of all work within the applications department .
- Responsible for carrying out a design review on all contracts in line with company and project requirements.
- Responsible for providing technical advice to all areas of the company.
- Responsible for ensuring that technical procedures, work instructions and manuals are up to date.
- Working with key stakeholders to support design and development of new products and systems.
- Manage and police the preparation of maintenance and instruction manuals.
- Working with the Group Technical Director to develop new / maintain existing company standards, processes and procedures.
- Provide Technical assistance to the Test and Site Services areas of the company.
- Ensure that the CAD / E-plan processes & procedures are working efficiently and that the equipment is working to its maximum potential in line with the company IT policy and asset management system.
- Evaluate / implement new software packages and design tools as well as other innovations to support growth of the company.
- Have detailed knowledge of the group’s products and support introduction of new products and systems.
- Liaise with HR and training department to highlight any deficiencies / recommendations to support the knowledge growth of the team.
- Liaise with Project Sales and Project Engineers during quotation and design phases.
- Liaise with Project Managers, customers and sub-contractors during design installation and commissioning phases.
- Liaise with purchase departments.
- Liaise and support purchase of test equipment.
- To maintain and use wherever possible, standard product information for the execution of orders.
- Liaise with Training Manager and HR in the training and recruitment of technical personnel from apprentice to senior level of engineers.
- Attend training courses on new products, standards, systems and regulations. Imparting the training and knowledge on to other staff.
- Work with the key stakeholders and the Quality Assurance Manager to continuously improve and support implementation of the company quality policy, quality plan, quality systems, procedures, processes, work flows and work instructions as detailed in The Automation Technology Group quality assurance manual.
Qualifications, knowledge & experience:
• Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
• Detailed and diverse knowledge of LV/HV switchgear, MCC’s and related components / technologies, up to 33kV.
• Detailed knowledge of HV generators and motor starting methods.
• Experienced in power system protection and design.
• Experienced in design and construction of LV/HV switchgear.
• Experienced in turnkey power projects (LV/HV switchgear, transformers, AC/DC UPS, diesel generators, prefabricated package substations, substation automation)
• Leading of site investigations and failure analysis.
• Experienced Manager and mentor
- Held a similar role previously.
- Senior Authorised Person (SAP)
- Experience with PLC / SCADA
- Experience in substation automation, Power Management Systems (PMS) and highspeed load shedding systems
- Knowledge of associated substation systems (HVAC, air quality, purged environments, fire and gas systems, impact of external environmental conditions, hazardous areas, lighting systems, 18th edition wiring regulations)
- Diverse experience in terms of industries worked within
- Project Management experience
- Technical Management experience.
- Knowledge of LV & HV switchgear IEC standards (IEC 61439, IEC 61641, IEC 62271)
- Knowledge of protection relays & power system design
- IEC61850 programming & implementation experience
- Knowledge of intelligent switchgear / substation automation and communication protocols
- Knowledge of substation design and implementation
- Ability to interpret customer specifications and drawings
- Use of multiple CAD systems (AutoCAD / Inventor / E-plan) and other electrical design tools
- Technical communication skills
- Switchgear Mechanical design knowledge
- Experience within Heavy Industry, Water, Metals, Power, petrochemical, Oil & Gas sector etc.
- Experience of process control systems and automation in a wide range of industries